Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Life in Bombay- 1


This blog is beginning to look like “memoires from past”, but the truth is some stories are engraved so deep in my memory & hence cannot help, but write it down! May be once I am done blogging them, I will catch up and get to the present tense!

An email from my college friend after 8 years is the spark for this story. Friends that we make during school or college last for a lifetime; it is like they are a part of us which we left behind when we parted ways after final exams. The essence of this relation is such that it does not really need any constant phone calls or chats or emails to maintain it, As one of my friends once mentioned: Years later, if we happen to run into them, we slip ourselves back into the groove with great ease and it is like picking a part of us that was left behind with them. Quite true!
College life- are usually the best days in anyone’s lives and it makes it even special, when you have been on your own and away from parents. Coz only then, we have had the freedom to do the craziest and the wildest things and then smile about it years later.

Bombay- “City that never sleeps”, holds a very special place in my heart and I must admit that my precious “4 years of college life” was spent there. And definitely, my friends - one blog entry would not suffice and hence doing it in parts :-)
I used to detest that place during those stopover flights on route to Cochin from Gulf during summer holidays. And the reason was simply due to the “cleanliness”. I refuse to elaborate that here ! Well, it was “meant to be”, as they say it and I landed in the same place to pursue my bachelors. Least did I know that the coming 4 years would “rock” my life totally. Staying away from parents was surely not easy, and I missed them terribly, but didn’t have a choice. Those visits to Gulf after the end of each semesters were the silver lining on the dark cloud at that time.
I still remember my initial days of college, when I used to walk in- very shy and dressed in ¾ sleeve churidars and waist long hair plaited neatly with 2 supporting black slides at the base. I was the referred to as the girl from “abroad gang”, as I was the one from the 3 in a class of sixty plus, who had also joined from Gulf schools. I made friends with 5 of them, we were 6 of us- 3 boys and 3 girls and I was the scapegoat and used to get teased the most (even then !)

They say blood is thicker than water, but my 1st yr stay with an “ultra strict” uncle of mine, was a disaster. I was beginning to suffocate and I finally got the permission from parents to move out with a friend whose parents too were in Gulf. I was a free bird, Hallelujiah! The new home was great and it was in Chembur, just minutes away from college we had a great time staying together and managing our lives single handedly in a huge city.

The adventures began- first being my famous hair cut. Due to persistent efforts from friends, I was eventually made to convince that long hair can never be styled the way we need to, especially for modern wear and hence needs to be chopped upto shoulder length. There I sat in the parlor and as I watched those huge black locks of hair on the floor, my heart ached quite a bit. As what I was cutting down in few seconds was years of my mom’s efforts which she spent on caring for my hair. The scent of that special oil mixed with hibiscus flowers, Thulasi leaves etc that she used to massage my hair with is unforgettable. Sigh ! My hair styling was done, and the mirror gave the shock of my life. Wanted to just cry out loud but my friends consoled me saying, it will grow back and nothing is there to worry. (yeah right !) The same day we went out to a jeans store and bought my first pair of Jeans- yes indeed, it was my first Jeans..! Also bought some new tops and walked into the class next day with that whole new look. Many were shocked and I felt even more guilty answering those numerous questions on why I cut my hair. This entire episode is so similar to the movie “pavithram” when Vinduja gets a makeover- lol!

Tiffin service took a toll on us and hence was forced to get introduced to the ever famous Bombay "chaat":vada pav, pav bhaji, sev puri, dahi puri, pani puri, ragda pattis- the list is endless. After a few stomach upsets, my body cells inside realized this is what they are going to get for the coming few years and I guess they just decided to adapt to the situation. Inspite of the initial hiccups, “chaat” remained our favorite option and even now, it gets me all nostalgic. The roadside chaat, for whatever reason tastes heavenly and I have always wondered why. May be it has just got to do with the fact that its "roadside" ! “Gola”- the multi color juices filled in crushed ice was mouth watering especially on a bright sunny day after college- Nothing could be ever so refreshing. And then of course the sweet lassi, masala milk that was sold at an Amul milk booth was yummy too.


To be contd..

No comments: